Girl-friends: Life's Secret Weapon

Wednesday evening I had the privilege of spending an evening with the other ladies from Wellspring Fellowship. It was a pretty laid back event, just created with the purpose of encouraging one another and being together.  My mother-in-law hosted the event, and each lady brought a dish to pass.  Good food, good fellowship, good laughs, good prayers, all were present. We played a game that is probs my new favorite party game.  Selfie Hot Potato. Oh yea, awesomeeee sauce. Basically- music plays & a couple of phones are passed around a circle with the camera on for selfie-snapping.  When the music stops, the last person's selfie must be posted to social media, with a caption drawn out of a hat of options. Only epic captions of course. What a hoot. 

Anyways, back to the reason for this post. Ruth (I know, there are 3, so I better specify. Ruth S ;]) shared a bit on trusting God, and how it's really a lifetime journey. Someone stated that when it's all said and done, trusting Him will be more about the journey then the finish line. How true is that?! We can never trust Him too much.  Nahum 1:7 says "The Lord is good, a strong refuge when trouble comes. He is close to those who trust in Him." I dunno about you, but I know I want to know that the Lord is close to me, especially in times of need/want/trouble/sickness/hurt. I think that is a great reminder to us when we are feeling vulnerable that if we can just transfer some of whatever burden we are carrying to the cross, and trust Him with it, he will be RIGHT there with us. CLOSE.  What a comforting word. 

Ok, I guess I had 2 reasons for this post. The second is how thankful I am for all the ladies in my life.  Even though they range in age and location, they are all a huge blessing to me.  Last night someone mentioned a saying that I don't remember word for word, but the jist of it was that we as women need other women's (true) friendship in our lives, and that it's our "secret weapon" to survival. Our husbands/fathers/brothers/guy-friends are important too, and definitely have their key place in our lives, but there is just something about the comradery and support of a good "girlfriend". I can state this as a true known fact, because I have experienced the other end of it as well.  There was a time in my life when a handful of my "best girl friends" were actually extremely poisonous. When this fact came to light to me, it was a blow like no other. These were girls I confided in, invested in, and considered family. When they should have been supporting and helping/encouraging me through life's lemons, they were actually throwing the lemons at me and laying the spikes on the road. It's hard to explain how it made me feel.  I didn't want to be around anyone (if you know me at all, you know this is NOT my nature), and I surely didn't trust a soul past face value, especially women. Then I picked up my life- leaving family, real friends, fake friends, 2 jobs, a boyfriend, basically everything I knew to move to New York. It didn't take me long to start hanging out with the "gang". It was mostly guys, with lots of active activities that were just fun and carefree. I didn't have trouble making friends with those dudes, cause they were nice and respectful and just fun to hang with. 

I feel like this is a slight side-road, but seems fitting. I have always had a handful of really good guy-friends. I treasure their friendship, and having almost thrown most of them away at one point, I value being able to keep them now. While I love them, it's just different that a really good girlfriend.  I think there is still depth to those guy friendships, but it's different than with girls. Maybe it's that we "get" each other better, or bare more of our souls, or something. But anyways...

Looking back over the first year of my move, I realized I really didn't connect with the girls as quickly.  I'd chat with them in the hang out group, but I don't remember making solo plans, or getting too deep.  I think I was still on the defense, with the mindset of protection.  I had let girls in before, and they stabbed me in the back. So the easiest thing to do was hold them at arm's length.  How much I was missing out on. I am so thankful for the kindness and just God's love shining through these ladies, that enabled me to let my guard down, and build some of the best friendships.  They have weathered some storms with me, and celebrated beside me through the sweetest of times. I can never thank them enough for all that they mean to me. 

The moral of my thoughts are this - I have heard women who say they "just don't get along with other females", and that makes me sad. In my opinion, they either have not been the friend they always should have been, or they have not surrounded themselves with the right type of women. It will be my prayer that each of you can experience true, nurturing, Godly, supporting friendship from a fellow woman (hahaha, fellow woman...yea I'll leave that alone) or 20 in your lifetime. :]

8 comments:

  1. I'll be the machete in your secret weapon arsenal. Hehe. Love that your part of my life, you hair magician, you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, I have a machete! Can I get a bow + arrow...anyone...anyone? :)

      Delete
  2. With moving + not having close women friendships, this post encouraged me. To reach out more, and to allow people to BE my friend. But oh, the introvert side is so real somedays. And that's not how it used to be. Thank you for this miss Patty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be praying that you make some good connections! One thing that I try to do with friends from NC or friends who have moved away from here is be purposeful about the relationships you want to keep alive at your previous location. Text your girlfriends often, just to see what they are doing. It might feel weird at first especially if you haven't anything besides the norm in your day, but it will become habit before you know it, and it will help the loneliness of missing them!

      Delete
  3. YES, Patti!!!!
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for writing this. I love how real you are on your blog. <3

    ReplyDelete